Gateway was originally set up to help people into formal training or employment – and so to better health. This pre-employment training provides a “gateway” into employment – it’s what gave our organisation its name.
We say that people are best helped by those who are two steps ahead – in other words, people who have experienced problems but have made progress. So we employ people with direct, personal knowledge of the issues our clients face. Often, they’ve overcome similar problems themselves. The people they are supporting will relate to them, and their achievements don’t seem too far out of reach.
The people we employ are recruited from all communities. Our approach to recruiting and training local people means that we provide reliable, long-term staff, and our diverse workforce connects better with the people it serves.
Values, Aims & Objectives
Our staff came up with our Core Values when Gateway Family Services was first launched. Over the last decade, these values, aims and objectives have remained at the heart of everything we do.
- We do what we say we are going to.
- We invest in people.
- Everything we do has a positive social impact.
- We work hard and never stop learning.
- We aim to make a difference to the experience and outcomes of those people whose relationship with health and social care services is consistently poor.
- We will raise the level of expectation that people have of the services they need.
Our main objective is to tackle health inequality and we do this by:
- Providing innovative health and wellbeing services
- Providing intensive support to those who need it most
- Training and developing people with a focus on those who have barriers to learning or employment
- Making lasting change by building resilience and raising aspirations